Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Last Session?

July 26, 2010, 11:45

I have just returned from a shopping trip for clay working supplies. The month between school sessions has me climbing the walls for the opportunity to get my hands messy so I have converted my workbench to be usable as either a sculptor’s studio or a mechanic’s knuckle tester. I picked up a few things at the seminal supply store, Aarvark, that is about 10 minutes away. The morning was cheered by a call from Lauren who had returned with the family from a 3 week road trip a few days early. Apparently the call of their own beds was too strong to resist. At least that’s the story that Lauren’s sticking to.

12:25 PM

Pat has just finished her lunch and the nurse is in to take her blood pressure. As I mentioned in the last posting, Pat saw Dr. Lilly last Thursday. Although her hemoglobin was a bit on the low side, he left the decision of whether or not to get a transfusion up to her. Pat had said that if she didn’t “need” it, she would pass. The nurse, on reviewing the record felt that Pat “should” have some blood and went off to call the doctor. There hasn’t been feedback yet, though I assume that the doc will repeat the message. So that’s all up in the air for the moment. The principle reason for the transfusion would be to up Pat’s energy level. She would be in for the blood tomorrow, if she elects to have it. Have I mentioned that the second and third sessions were at 50% strength because of Pat’s reaction. This session, like the fourth, was at 75% strength.

2:20

About 2 O’clock I dashed over to The Block on a 3 part mission. One was to get my blood moving again; two was to renew our supply of “Sweet Bites” at the Corner Bakery; and three was the acquisition of chocolate covered macadameon nuts. I completed the mission speedily, lest I delay our return home. I have resumed working on the blog as Pat enters the last hour of her treatment. Dr. Lilly was conducting clinic nearby and was kind enough to drop by to resolve the residual doubts. After some discussion he said that the only reason for having the transfusion would be Pat’s comfort and that could be done later if Pat’s energy was slow in returning. The fact that Pat could take the transfusion just before we left for the Bas Mitzvahs in Roanoke, three weeks from now, clinched it - no blood now.

So in 6 weeks Pat will be seeing Dr. Lilly for further evaluation after a repeat of her scan. If the scan is clear, Pat will have a bone biopsy to determine if further treatment is required. If either the scan or the biopsy is positive, then it’s on to plan B.

1 comment:

  1. So happy to hear that you are resuming your sculpture classes and getting your hands dirty again. I'm not sure we mentioned that Susan will be part of a group show. She will be showing her "Chubby Bubbies" because she feels they are her signature work--entirely original. We are expecting a huge crowd at the gallery, we are not equally anguine about sales. We recognise that the prices will be pretty steep,but we are not anxious to sell, and there is significant cost involved in both the making of the sculpture and the participation in the show. Please give Pat a big hug from us.

    ReplyDelete