Thursday, April 8, 2010

We have just gotten back from UCI and our consultation with Dr. Lilly. He went over the bone marrow report thoroughly. It turns out that there is evidence of the marrow having been invaded although there were no lymphoma cells per se. That makes it Stage IV, if only an early Stage IV. So the treatment cycle becomes 2 weeks rather than 3 weeks. The treatment is called R-CHOP with the initials standing for the 5 drugs that are used. We start treatment On April 19th. Blood is drawn the day before and an injection to raise the white blood cell count is administered the day after treatment. After 4 cycles of treatment the basic tests, including bone marrow biopsy are redone to determine the efficacy of the treatment. If she is clear then, Pat will get 2 more cycles and then be finished except for periodic bone marrow biopsies to check for relapses. As we proceed I‘ll report progress and additional steps as they are manifested.

This was a bit of a blow. On our consult with Dr. Krishnan at City of Hope on Tuesday she did not mention the fact that the report on the bone marrow said that cells were found “that were consistent with lymphoma. This upset Pat quite a bit and we are working off our steam.

After our consultation we had lunch overlooking the beach in Laguna, stopped for gelato, and did some shopping on our way home.

At this point we are trying to get on with our lives and are concerned that the love that all of you have for Pat could prove burdensome. She is torn with saying please don’t call and having to go through the story repeatedly. This blog is the way out. I will post any news here as soon as possible. If you want to talk to Pat about ANYTHING EXCEPT LYMPHOMA, she would be delighted to talk to you. Among the most desirable subjects are: food, wine, shopping, movies and theater. Feel free to give her blog address to anyone who requests it.

Thanks for all your love and support.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lunch at the beach! Sounds wonderful on a sunny day.
    Shopping is good, too. Have you found any hats you like? You could always wear a red hat with your purple dress. I can't imagine you wearing that any more than i can imagine wearing red and purple myself. We will have to think of some other outrageous costume to shop for.

    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. If your having trouble posting a comment, email me at swidoc@cox.net.

    Sid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saul and I wish you the best during treatment. We know it will be tough but hang in there, you're strong and all our thoughts and prayers will help you. I think red and purple go together very well...remember red and blue make purple. It's a great combination.
    60 degrees here in Sudbury today with the sun shinning brightly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    One day at a time, you two. That has
    been our motto for a very long time!
    We just saw a great movie - Ghost Writer. You would almost think they were portraying Tony Blair.
    We had beach weather here a week ago with temperatures in the 80s and one 90. We are back to reality now with 60s but,the flowers and trees are totally confused. Everything is blooming early.
    This is the first time I have blogged. I don't get the difference between this and email except everyone sees the comments and there is no spell check. Is that it? I don't know what a profile is so, I hope I am choosing the correct one.
    Love from both of us
    Phyllis & Neil

    ReplyDelete